Three people charged in drug trafficking investigation
The Calgary Police Service’s District 4 has laid 40 charges after a traffic stop resulted in a drug trafficking investigation.
On Tuesday, Nov. 26, 2019, at approximately 2:40 p.m., patrol officers observed a Dodge Ram truck driving through a parking lot in the 400 block of 36 Street N.E., which had tinted windows and a partially obstructed front windshield. Police conducted a traffic stop on the truck and discovered that two of the three occupants were wanted on outstanding warrants. Officers took a man and two women into custody without incident.
During the arrest, police seized the following items:
- Approximately $20,000 in cash
- A baton
- A loaded handgun
- A taser
- A small amount of various drugs
- Multiple cell phones, a scale and other items consistent with drug trafficking activity
Photos of some of the seized items are available on The City of Calgary Newsroom.
While police conducted their investigation, the seized cell phones received multiple calls. Police answered one of the phone calls, in which the unknown caller requested to meet and purchase drugs. Officers made arrangements to meet the caller in a parking lot located beside the District 4 office, where he was arrested and charged with possession of a controlled substance.
As a result, police laid a total of 40 drug- and weapons-related charges against the vehicle occupants.
- David Bentley GARNHAM, 37, of Calgary, was charged with 14 offences including possession of a loaded restricted firearm, possession of a weapon obtained by crime and possession of a controlled substance for the purpose of trafficking.
- Erin Margaret BURKE, 36, of Calgary, was charged with 13 offences including possession of a forged document, possession of a loaded restricted firearm and possession of a controlled substance for the purpose of trafficking.
- Tamara SCHELLENBERG, 41, of Calgary, was charged with 13 offences including possession of a loaded restricted firearm, possession of a weapon for a dangerous purpose and possession of a controlled substance for the purpose of trafficking.
Case # 19509808/5461