The Free Period Youth Art Contest is looking for artists
Free.Period. is an initiative coordinated by Youth Central, The City of Calgary and the Calgary Public Library to provide free period products through free dispensing machines in selected libraries and City facilities.
Youth Central, an organization that empowers youth to find and build their communities, wants to make the dispensers more approachable. They are hosting the Art Contest and asking youth ages 12-18 or still in high school to design artwork to be wrapped onto the dispensers.
“Period poverty affects everyone including families and friends of menstruators, non-binary and trans folks,” says Ros Doi, Program Director, Youth Central. “By involving youth in this initiative, we want to remove the stigma that is often associated with menstruation and make tampons and pads more available to anyone in need.”
She says not having access to period products can affect the participation, concentration and performance of menstruating Calgarians in the classroom, in the workplace and in everyday life.
“Periods are a part of life and through this program we are improving access to period products. If you or someone you know needs a pad or tampon, we have you covered at select City and Library facilities.”
How the contest works and contest rules
Between Jan. 16 – March 6, 2023, utilize your art skills to create an art wrap for period product dispensers.
- Contest is open to residents of Mohkinstsis/Calgary, ages 12-18 or still attending high school
- Contest is open for submissions from Jan. 16 – March 6, 2023
- Only one entry per person
- The theme of your design should match the ideals of the Free. Period. Project, including equity. Equity is defined as the practice of treating everyone with fairness by considering individual differences and social conditions. It requires recognition of respective needs and removing barriers (often systemic) for everyone to be successful. The result is that all people have equal opportunity to benefit.
- Judging panel will choose three designs to be duplicated across dispensers in City of Calgary and Calgary Public Libraries for a minimum of two years.
- Each of the chosen winners will receive one $500 honorarium in addition to their designs being duplicated across period dispensers.
- Judging panel will consist of Mayor Gondek, one representative from the Calgary Public Library, one member of Mayor’s Youth Council, one representative from Community Strategies and one representative from Calgary Public Art.
- While all submitted art pieces will be considered, the art pieces will be digitally printed and adhered to the dispenser and therefore need to be designed as such
- Designs should be submitted via a photo (.jpg) or scanned file (PDF)
- Submissions will need to utilize the template provided for the machine, as there are certain elements that are unable to be covered by the wrap.