Calgary, AB,

Officer-involved shooting in Redstone

The Alberta Serious Incident Response Team (ASIRT) is investigating following an officer-involved shooting that occurred in the community of Redstone early this morning.

At approximately 10 p.m., on Thursday, Aug. 30, 2018, police were called to a gym located in the 2600 block of Country Hills Boulevard N.E., following an altercation inside the gym that involved the man later shot in Redstone. The other people involved in the altercation had left the gym, but the man continued circling the building in his vehicle and staff were concerned for their safety.

Officers tried to reach out to the man through his family and closed the gym in an attempt to de-escalate the situation, but after two hours in the area around the gym, the man drove off at a high rate of speed. Officers followed the man from a distance as he drove dangerously throughout Redstone and Skyview, placing the public at risk before stopping at his residence in Redstone.

The man entered the residence and refused to exit. After having conversations with the man and conducting background checks, it was determined that the man was possibly having a mental health crisis. The man appeared to be calming down but he would not surrender to police.

Officers recognized that attempting to arrest the man at that point could lead to a violent confrontation, and decided that disengaging until the next day posed the least risk to him, the public and the responding officers. His vehicle was towed to prevent further dangerous driving to protect the public and officers left the residence around 2:20 a.m.

Later, police received a noise complaint due to loud music coming from the man’s residence and reached out to the man by phone again. Officers patrolling the area to monitor the situation then encountered the man near the intersection of Redstone Drive and Redstone Street N.E., around 3:45 a.m.

The situation escalated and officers deployed less-lethal ARWEN rounds and fired a Service pistol at the man. Knives were recovered at the scene.

First aid was immediately administered to the man by the officers on-scene and it continued until EMS arrived. The man was taken to hospital in life threatening condition where he has since succumbed to his injuries.

No officers or other members of the public were injured as a result of this incident. The officers involved are now on a 30-day administrative leave, as is standard practice when lethal force is used.

To protect the integrity of ASIRT’s investigation, no further information can be released by the Calgary Police Service.