Kitchen Fire in Northeast Calgary

On May 15, 2022 at approximately 1:00PM, the Calgary Fire Department responded to a 911 call for a kitchen fire in the 100 block of Falsby Road in the northeast community of Falconridge.  On arrival, crews were met by occupants explaining that there had been a fire in the kitchen and one occupant was burned and still inside.  On entry, crews located the injured occupant and brought the mid 30’s male to safety and awaiting AHS crews for assessment.  Crews were able to ensure that the fire was extinguished and conducted a search of the remainder of the dwelling.  In total there were 4 adults and 3 dogs in the dwelling. 

The injured occupant was suffering from burns to the hands, arms and legs that appeared to be sustained while trying to remove a pot of cooking oil that was on fire.  A second occupant was later transported to hospital as a precaution due to smoke inhalation.  Damage from the fire was limited to the kitchen and stove area, with minor smoke damage throughout the occupancy.  Calgary Police Service was on scene assisting with perimeter control and traffic. 

The Calgary Fire Department would like to remind Calgarians about the importance of having working smoke alarms.  Working smoke alarms save lives.