City Services: Family Day 2019
The City of Calgary is adjusting its hours of operation for Family Day on Monday, Feb.18, 2019.
Things to do
Free Family Day swim
The following City facilities will offer free public swimming on Monday, Feb.18, 2019 from 1 to 2:30 p.m. and 3 to 4:30 p.m.:
- Bob Bahan Aquatic & Fitness Centre
- Canyon Meadows Aquatic & Fitness Centre
- Killarney Aquatic & Recreation Centre
- Renfrew Aquatic & Recreation Centre
- Shouldice Aquatic Centre
- Thornhill Aquatic & Fitness Centre
Free Family Day skate
The following City facilities will offer free public skating on Monday, Feb.18, 2019 from 1 to 2:15 p.m.:
- Ernie Starr Arena
- Frank McCool Arena
- Murray Copot Arena
- Optimist/George Blundun Arenas
- Rose Kohn/Jimmie Condon Arenas
- Shouldice Arena
- Stew Hendry/Henry Viney Arenas
- Stu Peppard Arena
Village Square and Southland Leisure Centres will be open from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Feb. 18. Regular admission applies.
Southland Leisure Centre
Village Square Leisure Centre
Cross-country skiing and snowshoeing
Cross-country skiing and snowshoeing in Calgary is a great way to get active and enjoy the beauty of our snow-covered landscapes. Visit calgary.ca for a list of locations in and around Calgary.
Tobogganing and sledding
Tobogganing and sledding on the hills of Calgary is a fun way to enjoy winter and take advantage of the snow. Visit calgary.ca for a list of City-maintained hills.
In the community
Looking for fun, family-friendly activities to enjoy over the long weekend? Here are some events happening in Calgary:
- GLOW Downtown Winter Light Festival: This all-ages event offers interactive light displays, art, entertainment, food trucks and activities. Visit experienceglow.com for more information. Note: Calgary Parking Authority is offering free parking in Centennial Parkade; Convention Centre Parkade and James Short Parkades for those attending the festival. More info on festival parking can be found at calgaryparking.com/glow.
- The Military Museums’ Family Day: Activities begin at 10 a.m. and include behind the scenes tours of the regimental archives, artifact handling, scavenger hunt and weapons displays. Visit themilitarymuseums.ca for more information.
- Family Fun Day at Eau Claire: Eau Claire Market is hosting a free family event on Monday, with a Care Bear Dance Party, children’s crafts, face painting, balloon animals, carnival games, and an interactive reptile display. Please visit eauclairemarket.com for more information.
- Heritage Park Family Quest: Families can build a racer and go head to head in a little friendly family competition, test their skill as a digital car designer and scavenge parts to create a vehicle. Visit heritagepark.ca for more information.
- Peppa Pig at the Calgary Zoo: To celebrate the arrival of the Year of the Pig, the Calgary Zoo will be hosting characters from Peppa Pig. Visit calgaryzoo.com/events for more information.
- WowFest Magic Arts Festival: A weekend of magic shows, showcasing great magicians from across Canada at Rocky Ridge YMCA. Visit wowfestmagic.com for more information.
- Bow Habitat Station Family FISHtival: Kick off Alberta’s Family Fishing Weekend with free outdoor family fun and reduced admission to the Discovery Centre. Visit bowhabitat.alberta.ca for more information.
- Studio Bell Family Day: Boardwalk Rental Communities presents Family Day at Studio Bell, featuring beloved children’s singer-songwriter, Fred Penner. Please visit studiobell.ca for more information.
- Granary Road Family Fun Fest: Play games like bean bag toss and Jenga or go skating (don’t forget your skates) and play shuffleboard on the pond. Enjoy hot cider and marshmallow roasting, wagon rides and furry friends. Please visit granaryroad.com for more information.
Calgary Transit will provide a Sunday level of service on Monday, Feb.18. For more information on fares, schedules and service changes visit calgarytransit.com, subscribe to our email alerts or follow us on Twitter @calgarytransit.
Calgary Parking Authority
On Monday, Feb. 18, on-street parking is free and holiday rates will be charged in CPA parkades and select surface lots. Visit calgaryparking.com for more information.
Snow route parking
Heading out of town for the long weekend? Remember to keep parked vehicles off streets designated as Snow Routes or leave your keys with a trusted neighbour so they can relocate your vehicle if needed. Visit calgary.ca/snow to find out if you live on a Snow Route and where to park if there’s a ban.
Around the house
Spyhill and East Calgary lanfdfills are open Monday to Saturday from 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., including Family Day on Feb.18. Updated landfill hours and locations are available on Calgary.ca/landfill.
The following facilities will be closed on Monday, Feb.18, 2019:
- All City of Calgary Administrative buildings including City Hall
- Northmount Pleasant and Wildflower Arts Centre
- Calgary Soccer Centre (except for previously scheduled bookings)
- The Animal Services Centre
- Acadia Aquatic & Fitness Centre
- Beltline Aquatic & Fitness Centre
- Foothills Aquatic Centre
- Glenmore Aquatic Centre
- Inglewood Aquatic Centre
- Sir Winston Churchill Aquatic & Recreation Centre