Calgary fire crews battle two fires in the City's north west
At approximately 8:00 on the morning of Thursday September 29, 9-1-1 started receiving multiple calls regarding a fully involved garage fire on Capri Crescent N.W. On arrival, fire crews encountered a detached garage fully engulfed in flames. Two adults safely evacuated the bungalow on the property. The garage was completely destroyed by the fire with minor exterior damage to the house. No injuries were reported and no other structure s were damaged. The fire is under investigation by a Calgary Fire Department Fire Investigator.
Approximately 35 minutes later, fire crews were called to the 1000 block of Northmount Drive N.W. for reports of a fire in the basement suite of a bungalow. The residents on the main floor suite were alerted to the fire by working smoke alarms . Two adults and a baby safely evacuated and called 9-1-1.
When fire crews arrived, they were met with light smoke coming from the basement suite. The fire originated on the stove top and spread to the cabinets nearby. Fire damage was contained to the room of origin. It appears that this fire was accidental and a result of cooking left unattended. The stove and microwave will need to be replaced due to fire damage. The residents are expected to be allowed back into their basement suite in the next 24 hours. Upstairs (main floor) residents were allowed back in after air quality was assessed by firefighters and deemed to be safe.
Cooking left unattended is the most common cause of accidental indoor fires that the Calgary Fire Department responds to on a daily basis. For information on how to prevent fires, ensure you have the proper devices that alert you to a fire, and have a home escape plan, please visit www.calgary.ca/fire Remember, working smoke alarms save lives.
Fire Prevention Week is coming up on October 9 - 15 and 2022 marks the 100 year anniversary of this important week dedicated to fire prevention and fire safety. This year's theme is “Fire won't wait. Plan your escape”.