UPDATE 2: Persons of interest – Falconridge/Castleridge violent incident on Sept. 2, 2023
Eleven men have been charged in the violent conflict that occurred in the city’s northeast on Saturday, Sept. 2, 2023.
After the violent clash and resulting property damage in early September 2023, we dedicated resources to form an investigative task force to hold those responsible accountable for their actions. With support from the community, investigators have now charged a total of 11 men.
- Ykhlo BRHAANE, 35, Daniel NEGASI, 36, Okbazghi Tesfamichael HAILE, 32, Habtom HAILE, 33, and Efrem Haile GEBRU, 38, have been charged with rioting and possession of a weapon for a dangerous purpose.
- Angosom BAHTA, 35, and Tesfaldot HAILEMARIAM GEBREKID, 27, have been charged with rioting, assault with a weapon and possession of a weapon for a dangerous purpose.
- Amanuel Kiflezgi SIUM, 24, and Yamin OKUBAHANES, 28, have been charged with rioting, assault with a weapon, mischief and possession of a weapon for a dangerous purpose.
- Tesfans GEBREGZABHER, 49, has been charged with rioting and assault with a weapon.
- Million HAGOS, 43, has been charged with rioting.
The investigation still relies on support from the community to help identify remaining persons of interest and determine their level of involvement. We ask members of the community to come forward if they were involved or have information. Visit the webpage to view the outstanding persons of interest.
“Our task force is committed to identifying all persons of interest,” says Acting Deputy Chief Scott Boyd of the Calgary Police Service. “I want to remind Calgarians that the behaviour exhibited during this conflict is not, and never will be, acceptable in this city. As a police agency, it’s our duty to remain neutral to the politics and beliefs that surround events like this one. At the same time, it’s also our job to police the behaviour of people in our city. Our priority is always the safety of the community and our officers.”
We thank members of the community who have come forward with information.
We ask members of the public who recognize any individuals featured on the web page, or have additional information, to email ITF@calgarypolice.ca.