Third person charged in fatal hit-and-run
The Calgary Police Service has charged a third person in relation to a fatal hit-and-run collision.
At approximately 6:30 a.m, on Thursday, Feb. 18, 2016, police received a report of a collision involving two vehicles and subsequent witness reports that one of the vehicles involved, a truck, was going southbound in the northbound lanes of 37 Street S.W. The truck collided with another vehicle just south of the intersection at 130 Avenue S.W. and occupants of the truck ran from the scene. It is believed the truck was stolen from Chestermere prior to the incident.
The driver of the other vehicle, Keith Arthur MORLEY, 52, sustained fatal injuries and was declared deceased on scene.
Two individuals, Janelle UMPHERVILLE, 26, and a 17-year-old male have previously been charged.
Canada-wide warrants were issued for Derek, Brian GROUETTE, 33.
On Wednesday, Aug. 10, 2016, GROUETTE was involved in a foot chase with Blackfalds RCMP officers. He has since been transported to Calgary. GROUETTE is charged with:
- One count of hit and run causing death
- One count of dangerous driving causing death
- One count of break and enter
- Two counts of possession of stolen property over $5,000
- Six counts of possession of stolen property under $5,000
- One count of operating a motor vehicle while unauthorized
- One count of operating a motor vehicle without insurance
He will appear in court this morning, Thursday, Aug.11, 2016.
CASE # 16072781