The City of Calgary celebrates Seniors Week
June 1-7 is Seniors Week in Calgary, and there are events planned all week to celebrate older adults in our community. All events are being held online so that people can follow physical distancing rules during the COVID-19 pandemic.
The City of Calgary is holding virtual fitness classes for seniors, and there are community events such as movie nights, virtual meets-ups, and discussions about issues important to seniors in our community. The complete event calendar is available at Calgary.ca/SeniorsWeek.
Seniors Week is especially significant this year. The COVID-19 pandemic has been particularly difficult for Calgary’s seniors, yet we have witnessed how resilient many of our seniors are. The City will celebrate that strength this year during Seniors Week. The City encourages all of us, whether we are young or old, to understand the needs of older adults in our communities and to support them and celebrate them this week and every week.
Help us celebrate the older adult in our lives:
- Connect with neighbors and friends that you know are caring for a loved one.
- Have a physically distant conversation with an older adult about things that inspire and engage them.
- Cook your older adult’s favorite recipe and drop off a sample for tasting so you can see how close you got to the original.
- Help out with their gardens and yard work.
- Listen with empathy to truly understand what the person is feeling, and offer hope.
If you are interested in any of the free events during Seniors Week, or you know of an older adult who would enjoy connecting, please visit calgary.ca/SeniorsWeek to see the calendar and sign up for events.
During the COVID-19 pandemic, The City of Calgary is working to support Calgarians as we all work together to flatten the curve and rebound from the pandemic.