Police seek public assistance in counterfeit cheque case
We are asking for the public’s help to identify and locate two people believed to be responsible for depositing counterfeit cheques totalling more than $86,000 earlier this year.
It is believed that between Thursday, June 1, 2023, and Friday, June 2, 2023, two individuals entered four separate Royal Bank of Canada (RBC) locations in northwest and southeast Calgary and attempted to deposit four counterfeit cheques from an energy company, totalling $86,223.87. The company was made aware of the fraudulent cheque deposits on Wednesday, June 7, 2023, and reported it to police.
We are asking for the public’s help after exhausting all investigative avenues to identify and locate the suspects.
The cheques were deposited on the following dates at the following RBC branches:
- Thursday, June 1, 2023, at RBC Shepard Centre branch (5222 130 Ave. S.E.)
- Thursday, June 1, 2023, at RBC Sage Hill branch (25 Sage Hill Plaza N.W.)
- Thursday, June 1, 2023, at RBC Coventry Hills Centre branch (130 Country Village Rd. N.E.)
- Friday, June 2, 2023, at RBC Royal Oak Centre branch (8888 Country Hills Blvd. N.W.)
The two suspects are described as:
- A man with a medium build, short, dark hair and a beard. At the time of one of the deposits, he was wearing a black jacket, black pants, sunglasses and red shoes.
- A man with a medium to heavy build and short, dark brown or black hair. At the time of one of the deposits, he was wearing a dark jacket, black pants and black shoes.
Anyone with information about these individuals or their whereabouts is asked to contact police by calling 403-266-1234. Tips can also be submitted anonymously to Crime Stoppers through any of the following methods:
APP: P3 Tips
Case # CA23251545/5866