Police charge man following assault during break and enter
The Calgary Police Service has charged a man following two break and enters, during one of which a homeowner was assaulted.
At approximately 1:50 a.m., on Wednesday, July 5, 2017, a man entered a house through an unlocked door in the 1700 block of 22 Avenue N.W. When the homeowner woke up and confronted the man, he assaulted her and fled the residence.
The victim received minor injuries.
Ten minutes later, police were called to a second house in the 2500 block of 17 Street N.W., after a man matching the description of the suspect in the first incident broke into another home. A few items were stolen before the offender was confronted by the residents and fled the home.
The Canine Unit was called and located the suspect a short distance away, where he was apprehended.
Nelson Roman TWOYOUNGMEN, 18, of Calgary, is charged with two counts of break and enter and one count of assault.
Police advise Calgarians to always ensure that their residence and any detached garages are secure, even when someone is home. Tips to prevent break and enters are:
- Always remove garage door openers from vehicles parked near your residence. Offenders will often target vehicles that have openers in them to gain access to a residence.
- Secure all of your windows and doors, even if you are home.
- Ensure your detached garage has a deadbolt lock on the door and a strong door frame.
- Keep your car keys in an unlikely place, not right beside your door for thieves to easily find.
- Keep irreplaceable documents, photos and items in an unlikely place.
- Get to know your neighbours. Report any suspicious people or activity to police immediately by calling 403-266-1234 or 9-1-1 for a crime in progress.
- If you’re going away, make sure your house looks lived in. Have someone pick-up the mail, mow the lawn/shovel the snow, etc.
Anyone who has been a victim of a crime should report it to the Calgary Police Service non-emergency line at 403-266-1234, or 9-1-1 if it is a crime in progress.
Case # 17280050 & 17280102/1327