Pharmacy robberies and safeguarding tips
In the last few months, we have been called to an increasing number of pharmacy robberies. The Calgary Police Service takes these robberies and the safety of business owners and their staff, extremely seriously. Currently, our investigative teams are searching for suspects and pharmacy employees are asked to take as many precautions as possible.
Since June 2021, there have been 23 reported pharmacy robberies across Calgary. We are working to identify the individuals and groups responsible for the robberies.
In most cases, the suspects approach pharmacy employees brandishing a weapon, or indicating they have a weapon, before demanding cash and pharmaceutical drugs.
These robberies have a damaging impact on the victims, businesses and public safety. We are working closely with law enforcement agencies and partner agencies across Alberta to successfully identify suspects.
Investigators are releasing CCTV images of several suspects from multiple robberies across the city, and are asking for the public’s help to identify these individuals. Photos of the suspects can be found on The City of Calgary Newsroom.
Anyone with information about these suspects is asked to call the non-emergency police number at 403-266-1234. Tips can also be shared anonymously through Crime Stoppers using any of the following methods:
APP: P3 Tips
In an effort to safeguard your business and employees, you are advised to:
- Trust your instincts. If you witness suspicious behaviour, contact police.
- Minimize the amount of cash and drugs readily available on site.
- Keep safes locked at all times.
- Utilize a panic alarm for employees.
- Place height strip tape on the interior side of the main entrance door.
- Keep any doors separating the pharmacy from the store locked.
- CCTV Tips:
- Test your cameras to make sure they are working.
- Ensure the quality of the image(s) is sufficient for identifying suspects.
- Have purposeful focus.
- Position at least one camera to have a level line of sight of patrons.
- Ensure staff can access video content at any time and if possible, move the video to a cloud-based storage. After an event, this footage will be required as soon as possible for descriptions.
- If a robbery occurs, call 9-1-1 immediately and lock the doors to the premise after the offender leaves to preserve evidence until police arrive.
Case #21228283, 21234557, 21234491, 21305762, 21311522 / 4051