One man charged in stolen semi-truck investigation
The Calgary Police Service has charged one man in relation to an investigation into multiple stolen semi-trucks and trailers that occurred between November 2016 and January 2017.
On Monday, Dec. 5, 2016, officers in the Centralized Break & Enter Unit initiated an operation in response to several semi-truck and trailer thefts that had occurred throughout Calgary.
In total, three semi-trucks and five trailers were stolen from various areas across the city. The thefts include:
- An 18’ flat deck trailer that was stolen from a fenced area in the 2700 block of 5 Avenue S.E., sometime overnight between Friday, Nov. 4, 2016, and Saturday, Nov. 5, 2016.
- A 53’ trailer that was stolen from a fenced area in the 7600 block of 24 Street S.E., sometime overnight between Wednesday, Nov. 16, 2016, and Thursday, Nov. 17, 2016.
- A 2007 Kenworth semi-truck that was stolen from the 2100 block of 11A Street S.E., sometime overnight between Thursday, Nov. 17, 2016, and Friday, Nov. 18, 2016. This truck was then used to steal a trailer from the 3600 block of 11A Street S.E.
- A 2011 Kenworth semi-truck that was stolen from the 3500 block of 78 Avenue S.E., at approximately midnight on Thursday, Dec. 1, 2016. This truck was then used to steal a trailer from the 2700 block of 23 Avenue N.E.
- A 1998 Freightliner semi-truck that was stolen from the 5500 block of 72 Avenue S.E., at approximately 9:40 p.m., on Saturday, Jan. 28, 2017. This truck was then used to steal a trailer from the 5800 block of 76 Avenue S.E.
All of the stolen semi-trucks and trailers have since been recovered.
On Wednesday, Feb. 15, 2017, investigators took one man into custody and executed two search warrants. The warrants were executed in the 5000 block of Henwood Street S.W., and on Frontier Crescent, Rocky View County, east of Calgary.
Robert POIRIER, 47, of Calgary, has been charged with:
- Three counts of theft of a motor vehicle
- Five counts of possession of stolen property over $5,000
- Two counts of breach of a recognizance
- One count of break and enter
POIRIER will next appear in court on Tuesday, March 7, 2017.