Media Advisory: Calgary Police take part in 2023 Polar Plunge supporting Special Olympics Alberta
We’re freezin’ for a reason! Each year, the Calgary Police Service, along with other law enforcement agencies, take part in the annual Law Enforcement Torch Run Polar Plunge benefiting Special Olympics Alberta (SOA) athletes.
This is the eleventh annual Polar Plunge, and the first in-person event since 2019 where local law enforcement officers are plunging into the icy waters of Arbour Lake to raise money and awareness for the more than 2,500 SOA athletes across the province.
Among the plungers will be representatives from the Alberta Sheriffs, the Calgary Police Service, Calgary 9-1-1, Calgary Emergency Management Agency, Calgary Transit Public Safety, the Calgary Remand Centre, and Ward 2 Councillor Jennifer Wyness.
There will also be several Special Olympics Calgary athletes in attendance and participating in the plunge, including Special Olympics Calgary athlete, Andreas. Andreas was diagnosed with non-Hodgkin lymphoma in June 2022, and for the next six months he underwent chemotherapy at the Tom Baker Cancer Centre. During those six months, he was still very active and participated in Special Olympics events. Andreas even took part in a swim competition in Olds, Alta. where he achieved first and second place. After he finished chemotherapy, he spent a week alpine skiing in Panorama, B.C., to prepare him for the Special Olympics Provincial Winter Games, which are being held in Strathcona, Alta., from Feb. 24 to 26, 2023.
All Calgarians are encouraged to come and support the event, or even take a last-minute plunge! For more information or to register for the plunge, visit https://soa.crowdchange.ca/26896.
When: Saturday, Feb. 11, 2023, at noon.
Location: Arbour Lake, 12 Arbour Lake Drive N.W.
Who: The following representatives will be in attendance:
· Honourable Jason Luan, Minister of Culture
· Councillor Jennifer Wyness, Ward 2
· Member of Parliament Pat Kelly, Calgary Rocky Ridge
· Chief Constable Mark Neufeld, Calgary Police Service
· Superintendent Clare Smart, Calgary Police Service
· Superintendent Joe Brar, Calgary Police Service
· Deputy Chief Chad Tawfik, Calgary Police Service
· Deputy Chief Raj Gill, Calgary Police Service
· Deputy Chief Katie McLellan, Calgary Police Service
· Assistant Commissioner Trevor Daroux, RCMP
· Chief Sue Henry, Calgary Emergency Management Agency
· Deputy Chief Coby Duerr, Calgary Emergency Management Agency
· Deputy Chief Glenda Sahlen, Calgary 9-1-1
· Director Lance Fader, Calgary Remand Centre
· Director Jon Langille, Government of Alberta
· Inspector BJ Bjorson, Alberta Sheriffs
· Inspector Michael Pratt, Calgary Transit Public Safety
· A/Inspector Brittany Moerkens, Calgary Transit Public Safety