Long weekend road closures: What you need to know
Motorists are being advised of the following road/lane closures for Friday, June 28 – Tuesday, July 2:
17 Ave. and 14 St. S.W. intersection closure
Crews will be working over the Canada Day long weekend to complete much-needed utility replacements as part of the 17 Ave. S.W. Reconstruction Project.
To ensure this work can be completed as quickly as possible and reduce impacts to drivers, pedestrians and businesses, a temporary closure will be in place at the intersection of 17 Ave and 14 St. S.W. from 8 p.m. on Friday, June 28 to 5 a.m. on Tuesday, July 2. Crews will be working through the night to ensure work is completed over the long weekend.
During the closure, traffic will be detoured along the follow routes:
- 19 Ave. between 14 St. and 15 St. S.W.
- 14a St. between 19 Ave. and 17 Ave. S.W.
- 15 St. between 19 Ave. and 16 Ave. S.W.
- 16 Ave. between 14 St. and 15 St. S.W.
Parking restrictions along these routes will be in place at the following times:
- Friday, June 28th at 6 p.m. until Tuesday, July 2nd at 5 a.m.
For more information, visit calgary.ca/17Ave.
- The right lane will be closed on westbound Glenmore Tr., east of Crowchild Tr. and continue onto the exit ramp from westbound Glenmore Tr. to northbound Crowchild Tr. up to 54 Ave. S.W. from 5 a.m. to 7 p.m. daily on Saturday, Sunday and Monday June 29 to July 1. This is for construction work related to the Glenmore Trail widening project.
- Crews are scheduled to shift the eastbound lanes on Glenmore Tr., between 37 St. S.W. and Crowchild Tr., onto new lanes on the night of Tuesday, July 2. The switch is being coordinated with the SW Ring Road construction schedule.
Macleod Tr./ Anderson Rd.
- Starting at 11 p.m. on Thursday, June 27 until 5 a.m. on Friday, June 28, the ramps from southbound Macleod Tr. to east and westbound Anderson Rd. will be closed for asphalt milling as well as the dual left turn from westbound Anderson Rd. to southbound Macleod Tr. and the ramp from eastbound Anderson Rd. to southbound Macleod Tr.
Woodpark Blvd access at Anderson Rd.
- Woodpark Blvd. access at Anderson Rd. will be closed, from 9 a.m., Friday, June 28, to 5 a.m., Tuesday, July 2. This closure is necessary to allow crews to finish the next phase of intersection work. People can access Anderson Rd., 37 St. S.W. and the community from 24 St. S.W. and 130 Ave. S.W., during this time. All lanes on Anderson Rd. remain open through the weekend.
Calgary Transit will detour the #56 bus route. Go to www.calgarytransit.com/service-updates, for more details.
Once Woodpark Blvd. reopens Tuesday morning, the yield signs will be back in place, until Anderson Rd. is completed in fall 2019. Crews will be back to finish the final paving in fall, as well.
7 St. S.W.
- Beginning at 7 a.m. on Saturday, June 29 until 7 p.m. on Sunday, June 30, 7 St. S.W. will be closed between 8 Ave. S.W. and 9 Ave. S.W. Additionally, 9 Ave. S.W. will be reduced to a single lane at 7 St. S.W. This closure accommodates a water services valve repair.
3 St. S.W.
- On Saturday, June 29 and Sunday, June 30 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., 3 St. S.W. will be closed at 8 Ave. S.W. This closure is to accommodate utility work.
101 St. S.W.
- Starting at 6 p.m. on Friday, June 28 until 5 a.m. on Tuesday, July 2, 101 St. S.W. will be closed between Lower Springbank Rd. and Hwy 8. This closure is for asphalt repair.
8 Ave. S.W.
- Beginning at 9 a.m. on Friday, June 28 until 7 p.m. on Sunday, June 30, 8 Ave. S.W. will be closed between 5 St. S.W. and 6 St. S.W. This closure accommodates emergency water main break repairs.
Crowchild Tr. upgrades
As part of the Crowchild Trail Upgrades Project, watch for:
- From 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.:
- Single and double lane closures along northbound and southbound Crowchild Tr. (between Bow Tr. and Memorial Dr.)
- Single lane closures along 10 Ave. S.W. (under Crowchild Tr.)
- Single and double lane closures along eastbound Bow Tr. (over Crowchild Tr.)
- An increase in activity at the intersection of Bow Tr. & 10 Ave. S.W. (for signals work)
- Friday, June 28 from 10 p.m. until Saturday, June 29 at 5 a.m.:
- FULL CLOSURE of the northbound Crowchild Tr. to BOTH eastbound and westbound Memorial Dr. ramps
- Friday, June 28 from 10 p.m. until Saturday, June 29 at 5 a.m. & Saturday, June 29 from 10 p.m. until Sunday, June 30 at 10 a.m.:
- FULL CLOSURE of the southbound Crowchild Tr. to 12 Ave. S.W. East (via 10 Ave. S.W.) ramp
36 St. N.E. at 32 Ave. N.E.
- From 9 a.m. on Friday, June 28 to 6:30 p.m. on Sunday, June 30, northbound 36 St. N.E. will be closed at 32 Ave. N.E. As well, the two right lanes will be closed on westbound 32 Ave. N.E. from 6 a.m. on Saturday June 29 to 6:30 p.m. on Sunday, June 30. These closures are due to a water main repair.
- On Saturday, June 29 and on Sunday, June 30 between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. the three right lanes on Macleod Tr. will be closed at 12 Ave. S.E. This is for a utility tie-in.
Sheriff King St.
- Starting Friday, June 28 at 9 a.m. until Monday, July 1 at 5 a.m., Sheriff King St. will be closed between 190 Ave. and 194 Ave. S.E./S.W. This closure accommodates service tie-in. Access to retail and restaurants will be maintained. Please use alternate routes provided.
Special event closures
Various roads will be closed to parking and traffic in order to accommodate the celebrations and ensure public safety.
For up-to-date road closure information, please follow The City of Calgary’s transportation department on Twitter @yyctransport or visit calgary.ca/CanadaDay
Friday, June 28 at 6 a.m. to Tuesday, July 2 at 8 p.m.
- Riverfront Ave. will be closed between Macleod Tr. and 1 St. S.E. (south parking lane and two traffic lanes closed)
Sunday, June 30 at 6 a.m. to Tuesday, July 2 at 3 a.m.
- Samis Rd. N.E. will be closed between Centre St. and 1 St. N.E.
Monday, July 1 at 6 a.m. to Tuesday, July 2 at 3 a.m.
- Riverfront Ave. S.E. will be closed between the Reconciliation Bridge and 1 St. S.W.
- 2 Ave. S.E. will be closed between Centre Street and Riverfront Ave. S.E.
- 1 St. S.E. will be closed between 3 Ave. S.E. and Riverfront Ave. S.E.
- Macleod Tr. will be closed between 4 Ave. S.E. and Riverfront Ave. S.E. (with the exception of a community access lane)
- Centre St. lower deck and sidewalks between Memorial Dr. and 2 Ave. S.W.
Note: There will be various parking bans in place to support vehicle and pedestrian traffic
July 1 at 6 p.m. to July 2 at 3 a.m.
- Centre St. upper deck will be closed from 8 Ave. north to 3 Ave. south
- 2 Ave. will be closed between 1 St. S.W. and Riverfront Ave. S.E.
- Memorial Dr. will be closed from 10 St. N.W. to Edmonton Tr.
- Various streets in Crescent Heights and Rosedale community will be restricted to resident access only. Community resident access points are:
- Crescent Rd. at 3 St. N.W.
- 2 St. at 8 Ave. N.W.
- 1 St. at 9 Ave. N.W.
- 6 Ave. at Edmonton Tr. N.E.
- 10 St. N.W. and 13 Ave. N.W.
- 16 Ave. N.W. and 7 St. N.W.
- 16 Ave. N.W. and 4 St. N.W.
East Village Street Fair July 1 from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- 6 St. S.E. will be closed between 9 Ave. S.E. and 6 Ave. S.E.
- 7 Ave. S.E. will be closed between 5 St. S.E. and 6 St. S.E.
- 8 Ave. S.E. will be closed between 5 St. S.E. and 6 St. S.E.