Long weekend road closures: What you need to know
Motorists are being advised of the following road/lane closures for Friday, April 19 – Tuesday, April 23, 2019:
14 St. & 90 Ave. S.W. long weekend closure
In order to relocate and reinstall underground utilities at the intersection of 14 St. and 90 Ave. S.W. with the least amount of impact to businesses, residents and commuters, The City will have staged closures over the Easter long weekend. Crews will be working 24 hours a day to ensure the work is completed, rather than having to do multiple closures over the spring and summer that would be more disruptive to traffic and businesses.
To ensure that business access to Glenmore Landing is maintained during construction, a temporary, gravelled slip lane from southbound 14 St. S.W. will be opened starting Thursday April 18, 2019. Access from eastbound 90 Ave. S.W. to Glenmore Landing will also remain open during construction.
- From April 18 - 23, the intersection of 14 St. S.W. at 90 Ave. S.W. will be closed in stages. The closures will start with a northbound road closure of 14 St. and an eastbound closure of 90 Ave. at 9 a.m. Thursday, April 18. Then at 7 p.m. Thursday, April 18, southbound 14 St. and westbound 90 Ave. will be added to the closure. These closures are anticipated to last until 5 a.m. on Tuesday, April 23.
- From 9 a.m. Thursday, April 18 until 5 a.m. Tuesday, April 23, eastbound 90 Ave. S.W between 14 St. S.W. and 16 St. S.W will be closed for utility installations. Traffic will be directed to use Southland Dr. via 24 St. S.W / 19 St. S.W. and Palliser Dr. to bypass the detour.
- From 9 a.m. Thursday, April 18 until 5 a.m. Monday, April 22, northbound 14 St. S.W. between Southland Dr. and Heritage Dr. will be closed for utility installations. Traffic will be directed to use northbound Elbow Dr. and also to 24 St. S.W. to access 90 Ave. S.W.
- From 7 p.m. Thursday, April 18 until 3 p.m. Monday, April 22, southbound 14 St. S.W. between Heritage Dr. and Southland Dr. will be closed for utility installations. Traffic will be directed to use Elbow Dr. or Macleod Tr. to bypass the closure.
Reopening the intersection
As crews complete the work we want to ensure we open the intersection as soon as it is safe to do so. Barring any delays, we anticipate northbound 14 St. S.W. will reopen Monday, April 22, 2019 at 5 a.m.
Southbound 14 St. and westbound 90 Ave. S.W. will be reopen Monday, April 22, 2019 at 3 p.m. Eastbound 90 Ave. S.W. will be open for vehicle traffic Tuesday, April 23, 2019 at 5 a.m. Please see the attached map for suggested detour routes.
Glenmore Tr. widening and interchange improvements
- On Tuesday, April 23 from 10 p.m. – 5 a.m., there will be a lane restriction/closure on southbound Crowchild Tr., near the flyover. During this time, this portion of Crowchild Tr. will be reduced to a single lane in the southbound direction, with a 15 – 30 minute FULL CLOSURE in the middle of the night. This work accommodates the removal of a large guide sign.
9 St. S.W.
- Beginning at 7 a.m. on Monday, April 22 until 7 p.m. on Tuesday, May 7, 9 St. S.W. will be closed between 13 Ave. S.W. and 14 Ave. S.W. This closure accommodates underground utility work.
Crowchild Tr. upgrades
Friday, April 19 – Monday, April 22, nightly from 10 p.m. - 5 a.m.:
- Watch for double lane closures along SOUTHBOUND Crowchild Tr.
- FULL CLOSURE of the eastbound Memorial Dr./Parkdale Blvd. ramp onto southbound Crowchild Tr.
- Watch for double lane closures along NORTHBOUND Crowchild Tr.
- FULL CLOSURE of northbound 10 Avenue S.W. (Including a full closure of the 10 Ave. S.W. to northbound Crowchild Tr. ramp).
14 St. N.W.
- Starting on Friday, April 19 at 9 p.m. until Saturday, April 20 at 10 a.m., 14 St. N.W. will be restricted to a single northbound lane with left turns prohibited. This closure accommodates signals work.
Blackfoot Trail and 17 Ave. S.E.
- On Monday, April 22 from 8 p.m. until midnight, eastbound 17 Ave. S.E will be reduced to a single lane of traffic, east of the Cushing Bridge, with reduced speeds. This work is related to the MAX Purple line.
25 Ave. S.E.
- Beginning at 7 a.m. on Monday, April 22 until 7 p.m. Wednesday, May 15, there will be reduced lanes on 25 Ave. S.E. between Spiller Rd. S.E. and 3 St. S.E. This closure accommodates underground utility work.
13 Ave. S.E.
- Beginning on Thursday, April 18 from 6 a.m. to 3 p.m., 13 Ave. will be closed between 1 St. and Macleod Tr. S.E. This closure accommodates concrete pour. Use alternate route.