Indecent caller targets babysitters
Calgary youth have recently been targeted by a man using babysitting services to make indecent phone calls.
Since late 2019, Calgary police have received multiple complaints of a man using babysitting service listings to contact minors. The man uses a blocked number to phone girls between the ages of 11 and 16 and engages them in conversation that becomes progressively more inappropriate and graphic.
While babysitting services have a number of benefits, police encourage youth and their families to use thoughtful internet practices to keep kids safe:
- Do not include a photograph of a babysitter on any website.
- Do not answer any phone calls from blocked/private numbers.
- Do not include the babysitter’s phone number on websites; police recommend communicating via email initially.
- Make sure a parent or guardian is present and listening when the babysitter is communicating with the person looking to hire them.
- Never let a babysitter meet the individual hiring them alone.
We are also asking anyone who may have received these kinds of calls to report them to police using the non-emergency number at 403-266-1234. Tips can also be made anonymously using Crime Stoppers:
TALK: 1-800-222-8477TYPE: www.calgarycrimestoppers.orgAPP: “P3 Tips” App