City of Calgary update on collaborative COVID-19 enforcement measures
City of Calgary Community Peace Officers and the Calgary Police Service (CPS) continue to work together, along with Alberta Health Services (AHS), to ensure enforcement of all bylaws and public health orders.
The Temporary COVID-19 Face Coverings Bylaw came into effect August 1, 2020. On Monday, December 11, 2020 Calgary City Council extended the temporary bylaw through December 2021 and increased penalties for failure to wear a face covering and for repeat violations within a 12-month period.
Enforcement of the temporary bylaw has resulted in:
- 318 violation tickets for failure to wear a face covering where required since August 1, 2020
- Of those, 14 violation tickets have been issued March 18, 2021.
- One ticket has been issued for failure to display prescribed signage in an entryway of a public indoor space. This is the only ticket issued of this nature since August 18, 2020.
The total number of tickets issued under the Public Health Act (PHA) since the State of Local Emergency was declared is:
- 204 violation tickets since November 24, 2020
- None of those violation tickets were issued since March 18, 2021.
City business licence inspectors and partners from AHS, CPS, Alberta Gaming and Liquor Commission, and Occupational Health and Safety have formed a Public Health Compliance (PHC) Team to monitor compliance, address concerns and support measures that help protect Calgarians.
This team is conducting regular inspections. Any non-essential business found operating in contravention of the PHA could face multiple fines and the possibility of suspension or revocation of their business licence coupled with the charges.
The City of Calgary would like to thank citizens and businesses for their continued adherence to public health orders and for playing an important role in the health of all Calgarians.
Where violations are suspected, Calgarians or businesses can submit questions, concerns or report complaints to Alberta Health Services online or by calling 1-833-415-9179, or to The City by contacting 311 or the CPS non-emergency line at 403-266-1234.
More information is available on Calgary.ca/covid19.