Drug trafficking investigation uncovers suspected ATM thieves
The Calgary Police Service has laid approximately 90 criminal charges against eight individuals following a month-long investigation aimed at a drug trafficking operation that uncovered numerous crimes, including the theft of ATMs.
The investigation started in late March and the suspects – who were originally being investigated for possible drug offences – were found in vehicles that were believed to be fraudulently purchased and given new vehicle identification numbers. As police focused the investigation on the vehicles, investigators found multiple other stolen vehicles believed to be connected to the suspects and their associates.
In late April, investigators then also found evidence that linked the suspects to multiple break and enters in which ATMs were stolen. Police learned that the suspects were planning to steal another ATM and on Sunday, May 1, 2016, found them breaking into a stand-alone ATM vestibule located at 51 Hunterhorn Drive N.E. The suspects were later taken into custody in the 3000 block of Dover Ridge Drive S.E., without incident.
During the investigation, police recovered a total of 12 stolen vehicles and 10 stolen licence plates. Police also seized two rifles and one shotgun, as well as small amounts of cash, heroin, marijuana and methamphetamine.
The following individuals are charged in connection with this investigation:
- David Dwight HEARN, 33, of Calgary, is charged with 14 counts of possession of proceeds of crime, six counts of driving while disqualified, one count each of theft of a motor vehicle, break and enter, and removing or altering a vehicle identification number.
- Kiel Anthony MITSCHKE, 28, of Calgary, is charged with four counts break and enter, four counts of violating a court order and one count of possession of proceeds of crime.
- Omar El GAD, 19, of Calgary, is charged with one count each of break and enter, and possession break-in instruments.
- Jean Paul BOUTIN, 36, of Calgary is charged with two counts of possession of proceeds of crime, three counts of drug offences and one count of violating a court order. He was also arrested for an unrelated outstanding warrant.
- Dakota Sharri WHEELER, 21, of Calgary, is charged with two counts of possession of proceeds of crime. She was also arrested for an unrelated outstanding warrant.
- Ronald Leon ABRAHAM, 35, of Calgary, is charged with eight counts of firearms offences, four counts of violating a court order, six counts of drug offences and four counts of possession of proceeds of crime.
- John Abraham, YOUNG, 33, of Calgary, is charged with four counts of possession of proceeds of crime, eight counts of firearms offences, six counts of violating a court order, and one count each of aggravated assault and assault with a weapon.
- John Gordon GALLAGHER, 36, of Calgary, is charged with two counts of possession of proceeds of crime, and one count each of possession of break-in instruments and violating a court order.
The investigation is ongoing and more charges are pending. This case is a good example of how complex criminal investigations can be and shows how networks are usually involved in a variety of different criminal activities at any given time.
Anyone with information on these incidents is asked to contact the Calgary Police Service non-emergency line at 403-266-1234. Tips can also be left anonymously by contacting Crime Stoppers using any of the following methods:
TEXT: tttTIPS to 274637
Case # Multiple/3869 & 4940