City Services: Victoria Day 2019
The City of Calgary is adjusting its hours of operation for Victoria Day on Monday, May 20, 2019.
Things to do
Tee up this long weekend at City driving ranges
Visit calgary.ca/golf to book a tee time, download our free golf app and learn more about special offers at our eight municipal courses located at six locations throughout the city.
Stay active and explore the city with our list of free events at calgary.ca/free this spring and summer.
In the community
Looking for fun, family-friendly activities to enjoy over the long weekend? Visit Calaway Park for the kick off to its 38th season of family fun or step back in time at Heritage Park. Click here for a complete listing of community events happening in and around our city over the May long weekend.
Around the house
May long weekend means it's time to start planting your garden. Pick up green cart compost on Sunday, May 19 and May 26 at Shepard Landfill (12111 68 Street S.E.) from 8 a.m to 4 p.m. Don't forget to bring: a shovel, gloves, containers and tarps. Find all the details at calgary.ca/compost.
Save a trip to the landfill by checking out one of the community cleanups taking place from now through to September. Visit calgary.ca/cleanup for events in your neighbourhood.
Saturday, May 18
Sunday, May 19
Monday, May 20
Spring yard waste cleanup options
It's easy to clean up your yard this spring with your green cart:
- Always fill your green cart first - put yard waste loose inside the cart. If your cart is full, fill paper yard waste bags and roll the tops of the bags closed. Please note that yard waste in plastic bags will not be collected.
- Extra yard waste bags and branches: tie extra branches into bundles with natural fibre string, make sure branches are less than six inches in diameter and four feet in length and place extra paper yard waste bags and bundled branches at least one foot to the side of your green cart
- Spring yard waste drop-off at City landfills – residents can bring yard waste to a City landfill for FREE until June 2.
Calgary Transit - CTrain disruptions
Over the May long weekend (May 18-20), all downtown CTrain stations will be closed for scheduled maintenance. Shuttle buses will replace CTrain service. Calgary Transit will provide a Sunday level of service on Monday, May 20. Information on the closures is available at calgarytransit.com/service-updates. For more information on fares and schedules, please visit calgarytransit.com.
Road construction and traffic safety
The May long weekend is the unofficial start of construction season in Calgary and the warmer weather means more people are using the City’s transportation network. Visit calgary.ca/trafficinfo for a list of current traffic incidents, road closures and detours. Remember: obey the signs and take your time.
City crews have completed sweeping in residential areas, and would like to thank citizens for moving their vehicles. If there is material left on your street, you can collect it in a garbage bag and place it in your black cart for disposal. Sweeping will continue on major roadways throughout Calgary into June. Visit calgary.ca/sweep for schedules and more information.
No payment is required for on-street parking on Victoria Day, May 20. Holiday rates will be in effect at Calgary Parking Authority parkades and select surface lots. Regular rates will be in effect at the Calgary Zoo, TELUS Spark and Heritage Park. More information is available at calgaryparking.com.
Before you walk, run or cycle on a City pathway this weekend, make sure you check for pathway closures at calgary.ca/pathwayclosures.
The risk of river flooding in Calgary is greatest between May 15 and July 15. Understand, prepare and stay informed by knowing your flood risk and how to prepare for flood conditions at calgary.ca/floodinfo.
A reminder to be cautious when using outdoor open flames, including barbeques and backyard fire pits. Going camping this weekend? Visit albertafirebans.ca to check for any fire restrictions in the area.
The following facilities will be closed on Monday, May 20, 2019:
- All City of Calgary Administrative buildings (including City Hall)
- All Aquatic & Fitness Centres
- All Arenas
- All Athletic Parks (except for advanced bookings)
- Calgary Soccer Centre (except for advanced bookings)
- North Mount Pleasant and Wildflower Arts Centres