City Services: Remembrance Day 2018
We're adjusting our hours of operation for Remembrance Day on Sunday, Nov. 11, 2018.
Remembrance Day ceremonies
To honour the memory of those who have served and show appreciation for those who continue to serve our country, flags at all Government of Canada, Government of Alberta and The City of Calgary facilities will be lowered to half-mast from sunrise to sundown on Remembrance Day. Below is a list of some of the Remembrance Day ceremonies in Calgary.
- Central Memorial Park (1221 2 St. S.W.)
Ceremony begins at 10:30 a.m. and includes a parade with the Calgary Highlanders.
- Battalion Park (3001 Signal Hill Dr. S.W. - West of Sarcee)
Service begins at 10 a.m. Hosted by the Kings Own Calgary Regiment.
- Calgary International Airport (YYC) (2000 Airport Rd. N.E. - Arrivals Level by Door 17)
Ceremony begins at 10:45 a.m. with formation of the Calgary International Pipe Band and Honour Guard.
- Canadian Pacific Ogden Memorial (7550 Ogden Dale Rd. S.E.)
Service is at CP's Memorial Square, which was built in commemoration of the 100th anniversary of the start of the First World War. The service begins at 10:40 a.m. in the top parking lot by the 69 Ave. S.E. and Ogden Dale Rd. S.E. entrance.
- Field of Crosses (Memorial Drive, between 3 St. and Centre St.)
Remembrance Day ceremony at the flag pole, service begins at 10:30 a.m. Members of the public are welcome to attend any of the ceremonies or to visit the site at any time to walk among the crosses. Public parking is available at the west end of the park.
- Fort Calgary (750 9 Ave. S.E.)
This service is facilitated by the RCMP Veterans’ Association of Calgary. This commemorative ceremony features bagpipes, readings and choral singers. Doors open at 10 a.m. and the ceremony is at 10:30 a.m. followed by an artisan’s fair.
- Jubilee Auditorium (415 14 Ave. N.W.)
Tickets are free and issued at the door on a first-come, first-served basis. Veterans and seniors will be given priority. Weather permitting there will be a march past outside on the west side of the building immediately after the conclusion of the auditorium ceremonies. Doors open at 9:30 a.m. Ceremony begins at 10:30 a.m.
- Kerby Centre (1133 7 Ave. S.W.)
Doors open at 10:15 a.m. Ceremony and wreath laying start at 10:50 a.m.
- Military Museums (4520 Crowchild Tr. S.W.)Service begins at 10:30 a.m. Admission is free and those attending are asked to bring a non-perishable food donation for the Veterans’ Food Bank. The Museum will be open after the service.
- Poppy Plaza (Memorial Drive at 10th St. N.W.)
This park commemorates those who have served to protect our freedom and security and is open daily from 5 a.m. to 11 p.m.
- Union and Burnsland Cemetery (No Stone Left Alone Remembrance Ceremonies) (27 Ave. and Spiller Rd. S.E.)
Ceremony starts at 10:30 a.m. and is presented by 214 (Hawkwood/Citadel) Boy Scouts Troop and the Common Wealth War Graves Commission.
- Burnsland Cemetery Walking Tour (27 Ave. and Spiller Rd. S.E.)
Join us this Remembrance Day as we explore the history and stories behind some of the non-Canadian units whose members are buried in the Burnsland Field of Honour from 2 to 3:30 p.m.
- The Hangar Flight Museum (4629 McCall Way N.E.)
2018 marks the 78th Anniversary of the Dambusters Raid and the 60th Anniversary of NORAD and the Hangar will host their annual Remembrance Day ceremony. Please plan to arrive no later than 10:15 a.m The museum will be open with admission until 4 p.m. by donation for the remainder of the day.
- Kensington Legion (1918 Kensington Rd. N.W.)
The Royal Canadian Legion North Calgary Branch NO. 264 is hosting a Remembrance Day ceremony on Nov. 11. Doors open at 9:30 a.m. and close at 10:40 a.m.
For more information about Remembrance Day ceremonies and events in Calgary, please check out local event listings.
Things to do
Get Moving YYC – catch a wave, play in the gym or go for a skate.
Free family swim
The City of Calgary is offering a free swim from 1 to 2:30 p.m. and 3 to 4:30 p.m. on Sunday, Nov. 11 at:
- Canyon Meadows Aquatic & Fitness Centre (89 Canova Rd. S.W.)
- Killarney Aquatic & Recreation Centre (1919 29th St. S.W.)
- Renfrew Aquatic & Recreation Centre (810 13th Ave. N.E.)
- Sir Winston Churchill Aquatic & Recreation Centre (1520 Northmount Dr. N.W.)
- Thornhill Aquatic & Recreation Centre (6715 Centre St. N.W.)
Free family skate
Strap on skates and enjoy a free skate from 1 to 2:15 p.m. on Sunday, Nov. 11 at:
- Ernie Starr Arena (4808 14th Ave. S.E.)
- Frank McCool Arena (1900 Lake Bonavista Dr. S.E.)
- Murray Copot Arena (6727 Centre St. N.W.)
- Optimist and George Blundun Arenas (5020 26 Ave. S.W.)
- Rose Kohn and Jimmie Condon Arenas (502 Heritage Dr.S.W.)
- Shouldice Arena (1515 Home Road N.W.)
- Stew Hendry and Henry Viney Arenas Arenas (814 13th Ave. N.E.)
- Stu Peppard Arena (5300 19th St. S.W.)
Village Square and Southland Leisure Centres will be open from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Sunday, Nov. 11. Regular admission applies.
- Southland Leisure Centre has a variety of public skating options on Remembrance Day.
- Parent and child skating – 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Public skating – noon to 1:30 p.m.
- Sticks & Pucks drop-in – 1:15 p.m. to 2:45 p.m.
- Shinny hockey – 1:45 p.m. to 3:15 p.m.
- Climbing & Gymnastics from – 3 p.m. to 5 p.m.
- Village Square Leisure Centre has Sticks, Pucks & Rings from 1:45 p.m. to 3:15 p.m. and Public Skate from 2 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.
Transit will be providing a Sunday level of service on Nov. 11. For more information on fares, schedules and service changes, please visit calgarytransit.com or follow us on Twitter @calgarytransit.
All veterans and accompanying family members will be able to ride transit for free on Remembrance Day, Sunday, Nov.11. Veterans wearing uniforms or bearing veteran identification cards are eligible.
Road closures, detours and traffic
There will be a number of short-term road closures to accommodate Remembrance Day ceremonies on Sunday, Nov. 11 in the downtown core and along Memorial Drive. Please visit our Special Event page for more information. For real time traffic reports, please visit calgary.ca/traffic.
Crowchild Trail upgrades/ramp closure
The 10 Ave. ramp from Southbound Crowchild will be closed nightly from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. Flaggers will be on-site to help direct access to the businesses along 10 Ave. S.W. Please use Bow Trail for alternate access.
Centre Street Bridge flood barrier
Work continues on electrical lights on the upper deck until Dec. 9. and the southbound lane will be closed beginning at 8 a.m. on Saturday, Nov. 10 through to 5 p.m. on Sunday, and again from 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. on Monday.
Calgary Parking Authority
On-street parking is free on Nov. 11 and holiday rates will be in effect at select Calgary Parking Authority surface lots and parkades. Holiday rates are listed on the parking locations map or at calgaryparking.com.
CPA offers free parking for all vehicles displaying a valid Alberta registered veterans’ license plate on Remembrance Day (with the exception of the Calgary Zoo, TELUS Spark and Heritage Park). CPA also has a Veterans’ Parking Program. Visit the website or call 403-537-7000 for more information.
Around the house
Winter green cart schedule
Your green cart collection has changed to once every other week. Please check for your new green cart schedule at calgary.ca/collection.
Saturday, Nov. 10
Sunday, Nov. 11
Monday, Nov. 12
The following facilities will be closed on Sunday, Nov. 11:
- Pools: Acadia Aquatic & Fitness Centre, Beltline Aquatic & Fitness Centre, Bob Bahan Aquatic & Fitness Centre, Foothills Aquatic Centre, Glenmore Aquatic Centre, Inglewood Aquatic Centre and Shouldice Aquatic Centre.
- Arenas: Father David Bauer and Norma Bush Arenas Max Bell Centre
- Art centres: North Mount Pleasant and Wildflower Arts Centres
- Athletic parks: All Athletic Parks (closed for the season except for advanced bookings on Shouldice artificial fields)
- All City of Calgary administrative buildings, including City Hall