City Services: Easter Weekend 2019
The City of Calgary is adjusting its hours of operation for Easter Weekend April 19-22, 2019.
Things to do
Hit the golf course this weekend
The following City golf courses are open this weekend, including Good Friday and Easter Sunday:
- Confederation Park (and Driving Range)
- Maple Ridge
- McCall Lake (Par 3 and Driving Range)
- Shaganappi Point (18 and 9 hole course and Driving Range)
Visit calgary.ca/golf for more information or to book a tee time.
Catch a wave at a leisure centre
The following City leisure centres will be open on Good Friday:
- Southland Leisure Centre (11 a.m. to 5 p.m.)
- Village Square Leisure Centre (11 a.m. to 5 p.m.)
The following City leisure centre facility will be open on Easter Sunday:
- Village Square Leisure Centre (11 a.m. to 5 p.m.)
Enjoy Calgary’s parks, pathways and natural areas
All Calgary parks are open from 5 a.m. - 11 p.m. except:
- Devonian Gardens - visit site for current hours
- Inglewood Bird Sanctuary - trails open sunrise to sunset, visit site for Nature Centre hours
- Olympic Plaza - 6 a.m. - 11 p.m.
- Ralph Klein Park - visit site for current facility hours
- Reader Rock Garden - open from sunrise to sunset
- Bottomlands Park - open from sunrise to sunset
Please visit calgary.ca/parks for park locations, features and playground information.
In the Community
Looking for some fun, family-friendly activities to enjoy over the long weekend? Consider cuddling up with some furry bunnies and filling your Easter baskets at Butterfield Acres or hop on down to the Calgary Zoo for face painting, bunny races and crafts for kids of all ages. Click here for a complete listing of the community events happening in and around our city over the Easter weekend.
Calgary Transit will provide a Sunday level of service on Friday, April 19. For more information on fares, schedules and service changes visit calgarytransit.com, download the Transit App or follow @calgarytransit on Twitter.
Calgary Flames playoffs - Parking restrictions on 17 Avenue
During both home and away game days, there will be various parking restrictions along 17 Avenue from the Saddledome (Macleod Trail) to 14 Street S.W. between 7 p.m. - 5 a.m. To help ensure pedestrian and traffic safety, additional road closures may be implemented throughout the downtown core as necessary. Follow local media or @calgarypolice on Twitter for updates.
Spring cleanup street sweeping
Street cleaning is underway across the city and will continue throughout the holiday weekend including Good Friday and Easter Sunday. Vehicle free streets are necessary for crews to thoroughly clear gravel, debris and other materials that have accumulated over the winter months. There are many ways to find out about sweeping in your neighbourhood. Signs are posted on-street or you can visit calgary.ca/sweep to sign-up for email notifications, view the interactive map or check your address. Remember: obey the sign and avoid a fine.
Calgary Parking AuthorityHoliday rates will be in effect at select Calgary Parking Authority parkades and surface lots. Regular rates will be in effect at the Calgary Zoo, TELUS Spark and Heritage Park. The Calgary Parking Authority office will be closed on April 19, 2019 and will re-open at 8:30 a.m. on April 22.
Construction and road closures
SW BRT – 90 Avenue & 14 Street S.W.
Significant underground utility work will be taking place at the intersection of 14 Street and 90 Avenue S.W. over the Easter weekend. To minimize impact to those who live, work and travel through the area, crews will be working around the clock and staged closures will be in place throughout the holiday weekend, rather than multiple closures during the spring and summer months. We want to ensure that access to Glenmore Landing is maintained during construction, so starting Thursday, April 18 we will be opening a temporary, gravelled slip lane from southbound 14 Street S.W. Access from eastbound 90 Avenue S.W. to Glenmore Landing will also remain open during construction. Please visit calgary.ca for more information on all related closures and detours.
Please visit calgary.ca/roads for links to information on traffic reports, road construction, special events, detours and closures.
Around the house
There are no changes to garbage and recycling pickup on Good Friday. Please continue to put out your carts as usual.
Spring yard waste cleanup options
It's easy to clean up your yard this spring with your green cart:
- Always fill your green cart first - put yard waste loose inside the cart. If your cart is full, fill paper yard waste bags and roll the tops of the bags closed. Please note that yard waste in plastic bags will not be collected.
- Extra yard waste bags and branches: tie extra branches into bundles with natural fibre string, make sure branches are less than six inches in diameter and four feet in length and place extra paper yard waste bags and bundled branches at least one foot to the side of your green cart
- Spring yard waste drop-off at City landfills – residents can bring yard waste to a City landfill for FREE from April 19 to June 2.
Updated landfill hours and locations are available on Calgary.ca/landfill.
All City of Calgary administrative buildings, including City Hall, will be closed from April 19-21.
The following facilities will be closed on Good Friday (April 19) and Easter Sunday (April 21):
- The Animal Services Centre
- Athletic Parks (advanced bookings only)
- Arts Centres – North Mount Pleasant and Wildflower (closed Good Friday and Easter Sunday)
- Aquatics & Fitness Centres (closed Good Friday and Easter Sunday)
- Acadia Aquatic & Fitness Centre
- Beltline Aquatic & Fitness Centre
- Bob Bahan Aquatic & Fitness Centre
- Canyon Meadows Aquatic & Fitness Centre
- Foothills Aquatic Centre
- Glenmore Aquatic Centre
- Inglewood Aquatic Centre
- Killarney Aquatic & Recreation Centre
- Renfrew Aquatic & Recreation Centre
- Shouldice Aquatic Centre
- Sir Winston Churchill Aquatic & Recreation Centre
- Thornhill Aquatic & Recreation Centre
- Leisure Centres – Southland Leisure Centre (closed Easter Sunday)
- Soccer Centre (closed Good Friday, Easter Sunday, Easter Monday – except for bookings)