Charges laid in Marlborough Park break ins
The Calgary Police Service District 4 has charged one man with fifteen offences following a series of break and enters in Marlborough Park.
Between Friday, July 12, 2019, and Thursday, July 18, 2019, police received reports of three break and enters that had occurred within a few blocks of each other in Marlborough Park and had similar circumstances. In each case, the offender entered the homes by cutting the screen of an open window or opening unlocked windows. The offender would steal various items including credit cards and then immediately make purchases at nearby convenience stores.
Two of the break and enters happened overnight while residents were asleep. The break ins occurred on:
- Friday, July 12, 2019, between 1 and 2 a.m., in the 100 block of Manora Place N.E.
- Monday, July 15, 2019, at approximately 5 a.m., in the 100 block of Manora Place N.E.
- Thursday, July 18, 2019, between 5:30 a.m., and 5:30 p.m., in the 100 block of Manora Hill N.E.
Investigators identified a suspect and on Tuesday, July 24, 2019, police conducted a search warrant on a residence also located in the 100 block of Manora Place N.E. When police arrived, the suspect was in the process of selling a stolen tablet taken during the July 18th break in. One man was taken into custody without incident.
As a result, Jason Adam FOSTER, 34, of Calgary, has been charged with three counts of break and enter, eleven counts of using a stolen credit card and one count of trafficking stolen property. FOSTER will next appear in court today, Thursday, July 25, 2019.
During the warm summer months, police would like to remind citizens to ensure that their property is secured to help prevent break and enters. Calgarians are encouraged to establish a routine to secure their homes prior to leaving the house or going to bed, such as the 9 p.m. Routine. The 9 p.m. Routine includes:
- Removing valuables from vehicles.
- Ensuring vehicles are locked, windows are closed and if possible, parked in a garage.
- Closing garage doors and windows.
- Locking any person-doors in the garage, including those leading into a house.
- Checking that all house doors – front, back, side, patio and garage – are locked.
- Ensuring all windows are shut.
- Turning on an exterior light.