Calgary Stampede parade: getting around
The Calgary Stampede is kicking off 10 days of fun starting with the 2022 Calgary Stampede Parade Friday, July 8. Parade spectators are encouraged to walk, bike or use Calgary Transit to get into the downtown core. Here’s what you need to know about getting around:
Parade day road closures and detours
Beginning at 6 a.m. on Friday, July 8, the following roads will be closed for parade setup:
- 9 Avenue S.E. between 8 Street S.E. and 3 Street S.E.
- 6 Street S.E. between 7 Avenue S.E. and 9 Avenue S.E.
- 5 Street S.E. between 7 Avenue S.E. and 9 Avenue S.E.
- 6 Avenue S.E. between 3 Street S.E. and 5 Street S.E.
- 7 Avenue S.E. between 4 Street S.E. and 6 Street S.E.
- 8 Avenue S.E. between 4 Street S.E. and 6 Street S.E.
During the parade, the following closures will be in effect from 7:30 a.m. until 2 p.m. to protect public and pedestrian safety along the route:
- 4 Street S.E. between 6 Avenue S.E. and 9 Avenue S.E.
- 3 Street S.E. between 4 Avenue S.E. and 9 Avenue S.E.
- Westbound 6 Avenue from 3 Street S.E. to 11 Street S.W.
- 10 Street S.W. from 6 Avenue S.W. to 9 Avenue S.W.
- Eastbound 9 Avenue from 11 Street S.W. to 3 Street S.E.
- The morning connector from Bow Trail to westbound 5 Avenue S.W. will be open from 6 a.m. to 7 a.m. only.
See more about the Stampede parade route closures
Limited access to Ramsay - from 5:30 p.m. to 11:30 p.m. – July 1-17, 2022
Until July 17, resident access into Ramsey will be by permit only at Spiller Road S.E. & Burns Avenue S.E. and Bellevue Avenue S.E. & MacDonald Avenue S.E. Learn more about these road closures.
Calgary Transit service
CTrain service is running before, during and after the parade. All downtown CTrain stations are within one block of the parade route.
Bus detours begin at start of service on Parade Day and road closures become effective at 7 a.m. Please visit Calgarytransit.com/stampede for a listing of buses on detour during the parade.
Parking lot closures
The following Calgary Parking Authority lots will be closed on parade day from 7:30 a.m. until the streets have been fully swept and the roads re-open at 2 p.m.
· Platform Parkade (Lot 62)
· City Hall Parkade (Lot 36)
· Arts Commons Parkade (Lot 24)
· Centennial Parkade (Lot 54)
· Telus Convention Centre Parkade (Lot 60)
· Lot 7 (208 – 9 Avenue S.W.)
Vehicles entering these lots before the closure times will not be able to exit until the parade is complete and The City of Calgary re-opens the roads.
Lots 55 and 75 in East Village will be used for staging areas for the parade so they will be fully closed from July 7 at 6 p.m. to July 8 at 4 p.m.
City Centre Parkade (Lot 25) will only be accessible via 10 Avenue S.W.
On-street ParkPlus zones along the parade route will not be accessible during the parade.
Getting to the Calgary Stampede
To get you to and from the grounds, we are offering 24-hour CTrain service during Stampede. Around the clock service begins the evening of July 7, and ends the morning of July 18. See schedules and more information at Calgarytransit.com/stampede
When you’re riding the CTrain to the grounds, consider getting off at Erlton Stampede Station. From here there’s easy access to the gates and you’re just steps away from the Midway, Coca-Cola Stage and Grandstand.
We recommend customers move toward the centre of the CTrain platform to wait for and board to help avoid crowding at either end.
Day passes are valid for one full day between July 7 and 17. The special price for Adult transit day passes is $8.25, (reg. $11.25) and Youth transit day passes are $6.25 (reg. 8.25).
The Stampede transit day passes are available starting July 1 at our Customer Service Centres, 7-Eleven, Mac’s/Circle K and Safeway/Sobeys stores. To validate the pass, scratch the day you are travelling prior to boarding a CTrain or bus. The pass will be valid until 4 a.m. the following day.
Stampede taxi and Uber zones
Taxi Zone (24 hours)
· 5 Street S.E. between 12 Ave. S.E. and 14 Ave S.E.
· 14 Ave S.E. between 4 Street S.E. and 5 Street S.E.
Taxi zones (midnight to 5 a.m.)
· 12 Ave S.E. between Macleod Trail S.E. and 3 Street S.E.
Uber pick up zone (24 hours)
· South side of Stampede Park, north of 25 Ave. S.E.
Uber pickup zones (midnight to 5 a.m.)
· 1 Street S.E. between 10 Ave. S.E. and 12 Ave S.E.
· 10 Ave S.E. from 1 Street S.E. east to the cul-de-sac east of 3 Street S.E.
There are many Calgary Parking Authority parking options close to the Stampede grounds, including the new Platform Parkade at 399 - 9 Avenue S.E. Located only blocks away, it will remain open until 11 p.m. for vehicles and until midnight for those who wish to watch the fireworks from the rooftop.
$5 flat-fee parking is available Monday – Friday, from 11 a.m. to 6 a.m. at select lots. Download the MyParking app to receive the parking discount at the following locations:
o McDougall Parkade - Lot 28 (720 - 5 Ave SW)
o Centennial Parkade - Lot 54 (608 - 9 Ave SW/823- 5 St SW)
o Platform Parkade - Lot 62 (399 - 9 Ave SE)
o Lot 55 (724 – 4 Street S.E)