Calgary Fire Department Responds to Carbon Monoxide Incident

On Friday March 3, 2023 at approximately 8:00PM the Calgary Fire Department responded to a medical incident on the 2500 block of 49th avenue in southeast Calgary.  On arrival fire crews were met by persons on scene and directed into a garage where they found two unresponsive adults.  Fire crews utilized gas monitors to confirm that there were high levels of carbon monoxide (CO) in the garage and moved the occupants to a fresh air environment to begin life saving efforts.  Care of the occupants was transferred to EMS crews and further investigation revealed two deceased dogs in the garage as well.  The source of the carbon monoxide (CO) appears to be a vehicle that was left running in the garage.  Calgary Police Service is currently investigating the incident.  Life saving efforts were unsuccessful and one adult male, one adult female and two dogs are unfortunately confirmed deceased.

The Calgary Fire Department would like to remind Calgarians:

·         Carbon monoxide (CO) is a poisonous gas that has no colour, smell or taste.

·         A person can be poisoned by a small amount of CO over a longer period of time or by a large amount of CO over a shorter amount of time.

·         If you are exposed to CO gas, you may get flu-like symptoms such as headaches, nausea and dizziness, as well as become confused, tired and lose consciousness

·         If you or anyone near you experiences the symptoms of CO poisoning or your CO alarm goes off, you should leave your residence or building and call 9-1-1. Do not go back inside until the Fire Department tells you it is safe to do so.

·         CO alarms provide the only warning of dangerous CO gas in your home or workplace.

·         Test CO alarms once a month by pressing the alarm’s test button to hear if the alarm will sound. If your alarm uses batteries, be sure to replace the batteries once a year. Some manufacturers make alarms that have a 10 year lithium battery and thus do not require replacement.


Here are some tips on how to prevent CO buildup in your home:
• Make sure fuel-burning appliances, chimneys and vents are cleaned and inspected by professionals every year before you start to use them, usually when the weather gets cold.
• Make sure your vents for the dryer, furnace, stove, fireplace and other fuel-burning appliances are always clear of snow and other debris.
• Only use gas and charcoal barbecues outdoors, away from all doors, windows, vents and other building openings. Never use barbecues inside a garage, even if the garage door is open.
• Only use portable fuel-burning generators outdoors in well-ventilated areas away from windows, doors, vents and other building openings. Follow manufacturers’ instructions.
• Never use the stove or oven to heat your home.
• Make sure to open the flue of your fireplace before you use it.
• Never run a vehicle or other gas motor inside a garage, even if the garage door is open. Always drive your vehicle out of the garage right after starting it.
• Install CO alarms according to the directions on and pay attention to the clearance requirements.
For more safety information, visit