Calgary Fire Crews Quickly Extinguish South East House Fire
Shortly after 1:00 p.m. on Thursday afternoon, November 24th, Calgary fire crews were called to a house on Rivervalley Drive S.E. for reports of a house fire. Three residents , a dog and a cat who were in the home at the time, evacuated after a smoke alarm activated outside the bedroom where the fire started. One of the residents urged everyone to leave.
When fire crews arrived on scene, smoke was showing and the fire, which was contained to the main floor bedroom was quickly extinguished by firefighters. When fire crews performed a search of the rest of the house, they found and rescued a resident who was in a downstairs suite and unaware of the emergency. Three people were assessed by EMS including one person who suffered some smoke inhalation however refused to be transported to hospital.
A Calgary Fire Department Fire Investigator attended the scene and determined that the fire was accidental in nature and caused by smoking materials. The Red Cross has been called to provide some temporary support to the seven residents of this house.
The Calgary Fire Department would like to remind citizens of the importance of working smoke alarms. When a fire starts, you typically have less than two minutes to safely evacuate. For more information on fire safety and fire prevention, please visit calgary.ca/fire.