Update: City of Calgary responds to severe weather
At 3:03 p.m. The City of Calgary opened the Emergency Operations Centre to respond to the severe weather conditions. Rain and hail continue to fall in various parts of the city. Environment Canada is predicting a second storm to hit south Calgary approximately 6 p.m. tonight with rain and hail expected.
As of 5:30 p.m. the following information is known.
The following roads and underpasses are closed due to flooding:
- Southbound 5th Street underpass between 9th and 10th Avenue S.W.
- North and southbound 1st Street S.W. between 9th and 10th Avenue S.W.
- Northbound 4th Street S.E. between 9th Avenue and 10th Avenue S.W.
- Westbound Bow Trail under Crowchild Trail N.W.
The best routes out of downtown at this time are:
- 5th Avenue overpass
- Macleod Trail South
- Louise Bridge (10th Street N.W.)
- 17th Avenue S.W.
- Centre Street
The following Transit routes are affected by flooding:
- Routes 6, 13, 24, 410 are on detour around the 1st Street S.W. underpass
- Routes 3, 17 are on detour around 5th Street S.W. underpass
Storm damage and flooding
The City of Calgary has extra crews out around the city responding to storm damage. Calls are being prioritized.
Citizens are reminded to:
- Please stay indoors.
- Stay away from manhole covers, drains and flooded areas.
- Do not drive through flooded areas such as underpasses.
- Avoid storm water ponds and storm drains, and do not let children play near them.
- If you experience basement seepage or overland flooding, call 3-1-1 to report.
- If you or someone else is in imminent danger, call 9-1-1. Remember that 9-1-1 is for emergencies only; please use 3-1-1 for reporting non-emergency issues.
- Monitor local media and City of Calgary messages.