Twenty-six charges laid in stolen vehicle investigation
The Calgary Police Service District Support Unit has laid 26 charges against two individuals and recovered multiple stolen vehicles and 150 key fobs after receiving information about suspicious vehicle activity in southwest Calgary.
On Saturday, April 1, 2017, two stolen vehicles were located outside a residence in 0-100 block of Wellington Place S.W. After confirming the vehicles were stolen, investigators in the District Operations Teams (DOT) took steps to collect additional evidence and identify potential suspects.
On Monday, April 3, 2017, a male and female were seen leaving the residence in one of the stolen vehicles. With the assistance of HAWCS, the vehicle was followed to a parking lot located in the 9900 block of Macleod Trail S.E., where both occupants were taken into custody without incident by members of DOT and the Canine Unit. A search of the vehicle located 18.5 grams of several different drugs.
A short time later, members of the Tactical Unit executed a search warrant on the residence located in the 0-100 block of Wellington Place S.W. The following items were seized as a result of the search:
- Four stolen vehicles, valued at $239,000 (including a 2017 Dodge Challenger SRT, 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT, 2017 Ford Escape and 2017 Dodge Durango RT)
- A stolen 2015 Rockwood Trailer, valued at $20,000
- A loaded 9mm handgun and suppressor, with two 10-round magazines
- A police scanner, radio jamming device and radios
- 150 Dodge/Jeep key fobs, stolen from a break and enter in Red Deer on Friday, March 24, 2017
- 33.4 grams of powder cocaine, valued at $4,340
- 19.9 grams of crack cocaine, valued at $1,990
- 441.5 grams of marijuana, valued at $4,415
- One gram of heroin, valued at $100
Photos of some of the seized items are available on The City of Calgary Newsroom.
Quinn OLSON, 41, of Calgary, is charged with three counts of possession of a controlled substance, four counts of possession of stolen property over $5,000, three counts of breach of recognizance, two violations under the Traffic Safety Act, and one count each of trafficking stolen property, unauthorized possession of a prohibited device, possession of a weapon contrary to a prohibition order, possession of a restricted or prohibited firearm with ammunition and careless storage of a firearm.
Sarah McRAE, 30, of Calgary is charged with three counts of possession of a controlled substance, one count of possession of stolen property over $5,000, three counts of possession of stolen property under $5,000, one count of operating a motor vehicle while disqualified, and one violation under the Traffic Safety Act.
OLSON and McRAE will next appear in court on Wednesday, April 5, 2017.
Officers would like to thank Red Deer RCMP for their assistance in this investigation.