Southeast Green Cart collection starting next week
Green Cart collection will begin in the southeast next week, marking the last step of the Green Cart Program roll out.
“The week of October 2 will be a big milestone,” says Green Cart Implementation Leader Philippa Wagner. “For the first time we will be able to offer green cart collection to all 320,000 single-family homes in Calgary. We’re excited to offer the southeast the same service that has let Calgarians divert nearly 12 million kilograms of food and yard waste from our landfills in just a few months.”
Beginning next week, southeast residents will see the following changes:
- Green and blue carts will be picked up every week on the same day.
- Black carts will be picked up once every two weeks on a different day than the green and blue carts.
Residents can keep track of their new schedules with free collection day reminder tools, including the Calgary Garbage Day app, text, email, phone or downloadable calendars. Reminder tools can be found at calgary.ca/collection.
Green carts replace Leaf & Pumpkin drop-off locations
Now that green carts are available, The City will not be offering fall Leaf & Pumpkin drop-off locations. Residents should use their green carts for fall yard waste, using the following tips:
- Always fill the green cart first. Yard waste can be put loose inside the cart.
- Once the green cart is full, any extra can be placed in paper yard waste bags with the tops rolled closed.
- Extra branches can also be cut to four feet or less and tied in bundles with natural fibre string.
- Extra bags and bundled branches should be placed at least 30 cm (1 foot) to the side of the green cart for collection.
Residents will still be able to take their yard waste to City landfills for composting free of charge from September 29 to October 29.
For more information on managing fall yard waste, visit calgary.ca/yardwaste.
For more information about the Green Cart program, visit calgary.ca/greencart.