Calgary Fire Department Charges Owners of Rooming House After Fatal Fire
October 31, 2012 06:37 AM Category: Fire
On September 12, 2012, the Calgary Fire Department responded to a fire at a rooming house at 322 25th Avenue SW. Fire crews rescued four people from the residence, one of whom was found unconscious and later succumbed to his injuries.
The Calgary Fire Department has now charged the owners of the rooming house, Annop Bungay and Deepti Bungay with 12 counts each under the Safety Codes Act for numerous violations of the Fire Code.
The violations of the Fire Code include: failing to provide smoke alarms, failing to provide fire extinguishers, failing to post floor plans showing exits and failing to provide an interconnected smoke alarm system.
The penalty for a first offence per charge under the Safety Codes Act is a maximum fine of $15,000 or imprisonment for a term not exceeding six months or both.
The first appearance for both owners is scheduled for January 9, 2013 in the Provincial Criminal Court in Calgary.
Media ContactsClick to View PR Contacts
Recent Blog Posts
May 24, 2013 08:17 AM
May 23, 2013 01:38 PM
cityofcalgary: Do you know a great Marketing Strategist? The City of Calgary is now hiring http://t.co/dZmzLXCErx #yycjobs #jobs
May 24, 2013 07:17 PM
cityofcalgary: Do you know a great Business Strategist? The City of Calgary is now hiring: http://t.co/pvIDkkEr15 #yycjobs #jobs
May 24, 2013 01:17 PM