In response to high winds and resulting damage across the city, the Calgary Emergency Management Agency (CEMA) activated the Municipal Emergency Plan at 1:05 p.m. today.  There have been a number of resulting road closures associated with the activation, including the downtown core.
Currently, CTrain service to the downtown core is being terminated at the 39 Avenue Station. Shuttle buses are available to the Bridgeland and Lions Park stations with stops just outside the downtown core. Regular bus service is also available, however buses are being rerouted around the downtown core.
“Our resources are working diligently to address citizens’ concerns and to ensure that we are able to open up access to the downtown core as soon as possible,” said the Director of CEMA, Bruce Burrell. “We have four teams dedicated to a downtown perimeter assessment and will begin to open up streets that are deemed safe. The challenge, however, is that the winds are expected to remain consistently strong over the next several hours.”
To protect citizen safety and to provide the necessary access to emergency services to assist, the Acting Fire Chief made the determination to close off the downtown perimeter earlier today.  
Deerfoot Trail has reopened. Currently, there is also a road closure at Shawnessy Boulevard SE, due to assessment of building damage.
As of 4:45p.m., 9-1-1 had received more than 500 calls related to wind hazards and 3-1-1 had received more than 300 calls related to wind damage.
CEMA appreciates citizens continued patience. Please note the following citizen info of who to call, when:
  • Street signage down or damaged – call 3-1-1
  • Trees on power line or power outage – call ENMAX Power Trouble Line at 403-514-6100, 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
  • Trees down on major roadways (i.e. Deerfoot, Memorial etc.) – call 9-1-1
  • Trees down on residential roadways  - call 3-1-1
  • Trees down in parks -  public property – call 3-1-1
  • Trees on private property down on a residence – call 9-1-1 if there are injuries or safety concerns, call your insurance company to report the damage
  • Damage to residence – personal dwelling (roof, siding blown off etc.) – call your insurance company
  • Damage to commercial buildings (not an issue of public safety) – call 3-1-1; if the damage is an issue of public safety call 9-1-1