Charges in home and garage break-in
The Calgary Police Service has charged a man in relation to a break-in that occurred last weekend.
On Saturday, March 8, 2014, at approximately 6 p.m., a resident called police to report a man had broken into his home and garage, located on Malvern Drive, N.E.
Units quickly responded and were able to apprehend a suspect as he fled the residence.
Suhail ABDALLAH, 34, of Calgary, has been charged with two counts of break and enter, and one breach of conditions.
The CPS District 4 Break and Enter Unit are investigating a number of break-ins in the area, including 15 that have occurred in the southeast community of Applewood between January and March 2014. They are working to identify suspects in these incidents.
Anyone with information on these incidents is asked to call police at 403-266-1234 or Crime Stoppers anonymously using any of the following methods:
TEXT: tttTIPS to 274637
Home and garage break-in prevention tips:
- Keep your doors locked, even when you’re home. Ensure your garage doors and windows are also closed and locked.
- Install exterior motion lights to brighten dark areas around doors or windows, to make them easily seen by neighbours and passersby.
- Lock all garage doors, including the one between an attached garage and the house.
- Always close and lock any windows that could be used to gain access to your home while you’re away or sleeping, even on hot summer nights.
- Store important or irreplaceable documents and items away from your home, such is in a safety deposit box.
- If you see homes with open doors, front doors with keys left in the locks or a neighbour’s car with the truck left open, give them a quick call to let them know.
- Consider installing home and vehicle alarm systems and vehicle anti-theft devices.
- Always call 911 to report suspicious activity.