City Services: Thanksgiving 2017
We're adjusting our hours of operation for Thanksgiving on Monday, October 9. Here's a list of what you need to know:
We will provide a Sunday level of service on October 9 for Thanksgiving Day and all downtown CTrain stations will be closed from October 7-9 for scheduled maintenance. Shuttle buses will replace CTrain service in the downtown core. For more information on fares, schedules and service changes, please visit calgarytransit.com or follow us on Twitter @calgarytransit.
Things to do
- Catch a wave, play in the gym or go for a skate at a Leisure CentreVillage Square and Southland Leisure Centres will be open from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Monday, October 9. Regular admission applies. Please note that the arenas at Village Square Leisure Centre are closed.
- Enjoy a round of golf (weather permitting)Visit calgary.ca/golf to book a tee time, print score cards and learn more about special offers. Please note that Richmond Green Golf Course is closed for the season.
- FREE family swimKick up some fun with a free swim at Canyon Meadows Aquatic & Fitness Centre, Killarney Aquatic & Recreation Centre, Renfrew Aquatic & Recreation Centre and Shouldice Aquatic Centre from 1-2:30 p.m. and 3-4:30 p.m. on Monday October 9.
- FREE family skateStrap on skates and enjoy a free skate at Ernie Starr Arena, Murray Copot Arena, Rose Kohn/ Jimmie Condon Arenas and Shouldice Arena from 1-2:30 p.m. on Monday, October 9.
- Community eventsLooking for some fun, family-friendly activities to enjoy over the long weekend? Enjoy Thanksgiving themed activities at Heritage Park, watch the Calgary Hitmen in action or check out Pumpkin Palooza at Cobb’s Corn Maze & Family fun park. Click here for a complete listing of the community events happening in and around our city October 6-9.
Around the house
City landfillsIf you’re heading to the landfill, be sure to check out the updated landfill hours and locations on Calgary.ca. The Spyhill landfill is open this Saturday and the East Calgary landfill will be open Saturday, Sunday and Thanksgiving Monday.
Kitchen compostWhether you’ll be cooking dinner this holiday weekend, or helping with the cleanup, be sure to have your kitchen compost pail handy. You can help prevent fats, oils and grease from going down your drain by putting unwanted gravy, sauces, cooking oils and butter into your green cart. Scrape plates into your compost and use paper towel to wipe down cooking equipment. For more information please visit calgary.ca/fog.
Kitchen fires and cooking are the number one cause of home fires and home fire injuries. Click here for important safety tips to keep in mind while preparing your Thanksgiving meal.
The Advance Vote gives you an opportunity to cast your vote before Election Day, Monday, October 16. Visit the Elections website for Advance vote locations and hours over the long weekend.
The following facilities will be closed on Monday, October 9, 2017:
- All pools (except Canyon Meadows Aquatic & Fitness Centre, Killarney Aquatic & Recreation Centre, Renfrew Aquatic & Recreation Centre and Shouldice Aquatic Centre)
- North Mount Pleasant and Wildflower Arts Centres
- All Athletic Parks (except for advanced bookings)
- Calgary Soccer Centre (except for advanced bookings)
- All Arenas (except for advanced bookings, Ernie Starr Arena, Murray Copot Arena, Rose Kohn/ Jimmie Condon Arenas and Shouldice Arena)