City Services: Family Day 2017
We’re adjusting our hours of operation for the Family Day holiday on Monday, Feb. 20. Here’s a complete list of what you need to know.
Calgary Transit will provide a Sunday level of service on Family Day, Monday, Feb. 20. Please check the schedules page to find out when your bus is running.
All on-street parking is free and holiday rates will be in effect at select Calgary Parking Authority parkades and surface lots.
Looking for some fun, family-friendly activities to enjoy over the long weekend? There is something for everyone to enjoy this Family Day weekend. See below for great ideas for you and your family to get out and get active.
The following arenas will have free skating from 1 – 2:30 p.m. on Feb. 20:
- Ernie Starr Arena
- Murray Copot Arena
- Optimist / George Blundun Arenas
- Rose Kohn / Jimmie Condon Arenas
- Shouldice Arena
- Stu Peppard Arena
On Feb. 20 there will be free public swimming at select City pools from 1 – 2:30 p.m. and 3 – 4:30 p.m:
Inglewood Bird Sanctuary
Spend some family time in nature on the holiday weekend. Bring the kids for a fun-filled afternoon of wildlife crafts, nature games, scavenger hunts and more. Enjoy a guided walk around the park or try out our spotting scopes to catch a glimpse of the sanctuary’s high flyers. The event takes place on Sunday, Feb 19 from 1 - 3 p.m. at the Inglewood Bird Sanctuary. More information at Calgary.ca/parksevents.
In the Community
- GLOW: Watch the night come alive as the Calgary Downtown Association hosts Calgary’s first GLOW – Downtown Winter Light Festival Feb. 17-20, a free, family-friendly festival. Check out one-of-a-kind installations, projections, theatrical experiences and more in the downtown core, for more information and schedules visit calgarydowntown.com.
- WinterFest: Fort Calgary’s annual free event takes place Feb. 20 from 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. Join the fun with live performances, a Quebecois sugar shack and a dreamcatcher making workshop.
- Click here for a complete listing of community events happening in and around our city over the Family Day weekend.
Around the House
- Spyhill Landfill: open Friday and Saturday, 7:30 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Shepard Landfill: open Friday, 7:30 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- East Calgary Landfill: open Saturday – Monday, 7:30 a.m. – 5 p.m.
The following facilities will be closed on Monday, Feb. 20, 2016: