Calgary, AB,
10
November
2017
|
14:31
America/Denver

Carbon Monoxide Levels Cause Residential High Rise Evacuation

Carbon Monoxide Levels Cause Residential High Rise Evacuation

At approximately 3:00 this morning, the Calgary Fire Department responded to reports of a carbon monoxide (CO) alarm in 1100 block of 3rd Street SE. Fire crews arrived on scene to a 42 floor high rise residential complex to find the building CO monitor in alarm. Although the entire building was in alarm, firefighters coordinated a suite by suite, floor by floor evacuation of floors 1-18. Approximately 100 residents were directed across the street and were temporarily sheltered at a nearby casino. Fire crews then utilized the building heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) system to pressurize stairwells and floor hallways to safe levels. The highest recorded CO levels were 100 parts per million. The cause of the CO accumulation was believed to be outside atmospheric conditions related to snow, air temperature and pressure, and wind direction which combined to push the building boiler exhaust into the air intake system. Three residents who were complaining of nausea-like symptoms were assessed on scene by Alberta Health Services, but were not treated.

The Calgary Fire Department would like to remind citizens that functioning carbon monoxide and smoke alarms can help save lives.

-30-