Calgary, AB,
20
November
2017
|
01:22
America/Denver

Calgary Fire Department evacuates southeast building due to high carbon monoxide levels

Just after 4:00 this afternoon, Calgary fire crews were called to the 4400 block of 17 Avenue S.E. for initial reports of a natural gas odour. Upon investigation, firefighters found carbon monoxide (CO) readings as high as 280 parts per million (ppm) in some areas of the building. They immediately used the building's fire alarm system to evacuate everyone.

With the assistance of CPS, the mixed commercial and residential building was searched for anybody who did not evacuate with the alarm activation. Firefighters also started ventilation to lower the CO readings. ATCO Gas was called to the scene to assist with finding the source.

After investigating several areas of the building such as the rooftop HVAC air intake, the boiler and the restaurant kitchen, one of the appliances in the kitchen was found to be the source of the CO. 

Firefighters successfully cleared all of the CO from the building and all residents and employees have been allowed back inside. No injuries were reported as a result of this incident.

The Calgary Fire Department would like to remind citizens of the importance of having working carbon monoxide alarms. They are the most important warning system to alert you to a potentially dangerous situation. Carbon monoxide is a colourless, odourless, tasteless and non-irritating gas which which can be deadly. For more information on CO, please visit www.calgary.ca/fire