Calgary, AB,
20
April
2017
|
21:26
America/Denver

Calgary fire crews respond to planter fire in the south west

Today over the noon hour, Calgary fire crews were called to Woodhaven View S.W. for reports of a house fire. An observant neighbour could see smoke coming from one of the planters near the front of the house and immediately called 9-1-1. He then put water on the fire to extinguish it. When fire crews arrived on scene, the fire appeared to be out.  

Firefighters ensured the fire was completely extinguished and then assessed the other planters which also contained smoking material remnants. There were no residents at home during the outbreak of the fire and no injuries were reported.

This was a very close call and damage was limited to the exterior of the garage. Due to the quick actions of the neighbour, significant fire damage to the home was prevented.

Every year the Calgary Fire Department attends devastating fires caused by the improper disposal of smoking materials. Some of these fires have even resulted in deaths.

Cigarettes should never be put in any type of vegetation such as planters, flower beds, flower pots, soil, mulch or peat moss. These types of fires can smoulder for hours and go undetected until much larger in size.

Always use a deep, sturdy and non combustible container to safely dispose of smoking materials. Before regularly emptying ashtrays into the garbage, douse with water to ensure they are completely extinguished and that no heat remains. 

-30-

 

Media Relations Info
photo:Calgary Fire Department, Carol Henke
Calgary Fire Department, Carol Henke
Public Information Officer
Latest news
Share this release
Share on: Twitter
Share on: Facebook
Share on: LinkedIn