Calgary, AB,
05
January
2017

Calgary fire crews find high levels of carbon monoxide in Mount Royal home

At approximately 6:45 this morning, a family member at a home on Premiere Way S.W. woke up feeling ill. The family of five had just returned from a vacation very early this morning. The resident checked on other family members and found that they were also all suffering from similar symptoms. 

He called 9-1-1 and the family waited outside of the house for fire crews and EMS to arrive. Firefighters found carbon monoxide levels at 120 parts per million (ppm) in the upstairs however readings increased to 600 ppm downstairs in the basement.

Firefighters ventilated the house and ATCO Gas was called to the scene to determine the source of the carbon monoxide. All five family members were assessed by EMS and four were transported to hospital. Firefighters could not find any carbon monoxide alarms in the home.

The source of the carbon monoxide was found to be an issue with the drainage system on the boiler, most likely due to the cold weather.

The Calgary Fire Department would like to remind citizens of the importance of having working carbon monoxide alarms on every level of your home. They are the most important warning system to alert you to a potentially dangerous situation. Carbon monoxide is a colourless, odourless, tasteless and nonirritating gas which which can be deadly. For more information on CO, please visit www.calgary.ca/fire and http://www.atcogas.com/Safety/CO/Carbon-Monoxide-Safety

-30-

Media Relations Info
photo:Calgary Fire Department, Carol Henke
Calgary Fire Department, Carol Henke
Public Information Officer
Latest news
Share this release
Share on: Twitter
Share on: Facebook
Share on: LinkedIn